Workshop: Legal Issues for Artists
This full-day workshop will provide information on legal issues that self-employed creative people need. It follows the successful “Making a Living, Making a Life” workshops produced by the Wisconsin Arts Board and Arts Wisconsin from 2004-06.
Attorney Elizabeth Russell, Madison-based nationally-known expert in the field of arts law, will focus on Intellectual Property, Copyright for Performing and Visual Artists, and Contracts. Some workshops will focus on Trademark, the Visual Artists Rights Act, and the Artist/Gallery Relationship.
Additional workshops are planned. Workshop locations to date are:
• Viroqua: Sat., Nov. 18, 9 am-5pm, Main St. Station, 217 South Main St., local host: VIVA (Viroqua Independent Visual Artists).
• Madison: Sat., Dec. 2, time TBA, Williamson Street Coop,
1221 Williamson Street; local host: Williamson Street Art Center.
• Milwaukee: Sun., Jan. 14, time TBA; Milwaukee Inst. of Art & Design, 273 E. Erie St., local host: Milwaukee Artists Resource Network/MIAD.
• Spring Green: Sat., Jan. 27, location and time TBA; local host: Spring Green Area Arts Coalition/UW-Platteville’s ArtsBuild.
• Oneida: Sat., Feb. 17, location & time TBA; local hosts: Northeastern Wisconsin Arts Council/Oneida Nation Arts Program.
• Hudson: Sat., March 10, time TBA, Phipps Center for the Arts,
109 Locust Street; local host: Phipps Center for the Arts.
Cost: $75 per person, an affordable price made possible through support from the National Endowment for the Arts. An “on your own” lunch is scheduled. To register, contact Arts Wisconsin at 608-255-8316 or firstname.lastname@example.org / www.artswisconsin.org.